Looking for a simple and easy way that you can help fight climate change, pollution, and overfishing in our oceans?
By substituting a few meat-based meals each week with some tasty fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains – you can significantly reduce your footprint on Planet Earth.
The production of meat, especially beef, impacts the environment because:
- Cow farts release massive amounts of methane (a powerful greenhouse gas) into the atmosphere.
- More than 80% of farmland is used for livestock but it produces just 18% of food calories and 37% of protein.
- The creation of farmland often contributes to deforestation.
- The waste from livestock washes into watersheds, and can contribute to ocean pollution and eutrophication in our oceans.
And by eating less fish, you are directly preventing:
- Overfishing of commercial fish stocks our oceans.
- Illegal fishing that decimates the world’s top ocean predators.
- Bycatch of marine species.
You don’t need to become a vegetarian to help save the world, simple steps can make a huge difference. Try a Meatless Monday once each week, or make a promise to cut out meat from one meal each day.
Small actions like these, multiplies by millions of people can seriously mitigate these threats to our beautiful Blue Planet.